Birdwatching news and bird photography from Azerbaijan- by Kai Gauger and Michael Heiß

Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2018

October birding at Besh Barmag by Thibaut Riviere



What a wonderful place!!!
I spent almost three weeks (2nd of October to 20th October 2018) at the famous Besh Barmag migration spot in Azerbaijan. It was an amazing experience for me. Indeed, this spot is one of the biggest places in the Western Palearctic to count birds. During my stay here, we counted no less than 771.363 birds and for me it was a total of 183 species that I have seen. 

 
counters at work
 I will remember this day for all of my life, the 8th of October with flocks and flocks of herons (8 species) during the day. It was a great atmosphere at dusk when a group of 63 Little Bitterns raised up of the trees and flew south together with Night Herons and Great Bitterns. I remember also thousands of Calandra Lark, Starlings, a big day with 5698 Whites Wagtails (the 6th of October), some surprises and targets for me like the Oriental Skylark that I have seen four times, the Siberian Buff-bellied Pipit and a Pallas’s Leaf Warbler, first for Azerbaijan just before my departure (19th of October) found with Antony Chaillou just near the spot…. A lot of things like this but I can’t explain all of them!
 
The first Pallas's Leaf Warbler for Azerbaijan
A wolf running past the counting spot

Spotted Crake in the lagoon

Resting Great Bittern
Huge flock of Calandra Larks

A special dedicate to my friend Gabi staying almost all the season, a very good counter, it was a pleasure to count with you in particular the flocks of ducks when seawatching, not easy but for sure together we tried to do our best ! “Bon courage”
I also like to thank the two coordinators, Pia Fetting and Christoph Himmel for the good organization during my trip, their good mood all the days, very friendly and for their big engagement for this project, congrats! For sure, days were better thanks to our cook Miryusif, big thanks to him for the very tasty food! Finally, I would like to thank all the team, local Azeri staff, birders, counters, thanks for all!
Good luck for next counters !

Red-breasted Flycatcher

Black Kite
Long-legged Buzzard
Imperial Eagle
Greater Spotted Eagle
Sunrise over the Caspian







Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen